How To Renew Passport

Sponsored Links

When renewing your passport you will need to fill out Form DS-82 as long as your most recent passport is submitted with your application, it was issued when you were 16 or older, was issued within the last 15 years, it is undamaged outside the normal wear and tear and was issued in your current name (or you can provide documentation that shows your name changed with an original or certified copy of your marriage license, divorce decree or court order). Please note, if any of the above information does not apply to you, then you will be required to apply for a new passport in person.

When renewing your passport you must provide a social security number. If you do not have one you will then need to submit a statement, dated and then signed, that includes the exact phrase, "I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration."

You then will need to submit your most recent US passport along with your application. Your old passport book or card will be eventually returned to you, in most cases it will come in a separate mailing from your new passport. If your name has changed you need to include the documents along with your application. Your name change document will also be returned to you in a separate mailing from your new passport.

You also need to provide one photo along with your application. To make sure you are sending the correct photo, review the passport photo requirements. Go ahead and staple the photo to your application, they request you use 4 staples vertically in the corners as close to the outer edge as possible. Please do not bend the photo.

Review the passport renewal fees below. Include the fees along with your application using a personal check or money order. Make them payable to US department of state. They request you print the full name and date of birth of the applicant on the front of the check or money order. They will not accept cash, if you do send cash they will not be responsible. To see a full list, check the passport fees page.

Product Form Application Fee
Passport Book DS-82 $110
Passport Card DS-82 $30
Passport Book & Card DS-82 $140

Once you have all the information above, the last step is to mail your application. If inside the United States mail your completed application, along with your most recent passport, name change document, fees and photo to one of the addresses listed below. When mailing your passport application they request you use an envelope big enough to fit the application without folding. Mail it using the USPS and mail it using the track able delivery method. You might be eligible to apply in person at one of their passport agency if you need this expedited. To find out check the passport expedited service.

Routine Service (If you live in CA, FL, IL, MN, NY, or TX):
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 640155
Irving, TX 75064-0155

Routine Service (If you live in any other state or Canada):
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

Expedited Service (additional fee applies):
Write "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the mailing envelope.
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955