Apply For Teenager Passports Ages 16-17

Sponsored Links

In most cases, applicants who are 16 and 17 years old must apply for a passport in person by filling out Form DS-11. Any passport issued for people ages 16 and older are valid for 10 years. When filling out the form you will be required to provide a social security number. If you do not have a SSN, then you are required to submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, "I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration." It is recommended to not sign the form until you are told to by the agent at the passport location you are applying at.

The next step is to process documentation showing proof you are a US citizen. You are required to submit one of the following documents, it must be a original or certified copies. No photocopies are allowed.

  • Full valid and undamaged US passport, even if expired
  • A US birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

You will also need to bring in a photocopy of your evidence of being a US citizen. Both front and back will need to be photocopied, it must be legible, on white standard paper size 8.5"x11", black and white and must be single sided. If you choose to not submit a photocopy of your evidence of US citizenship, then you must submit a second certified copy of your evidence. They will keep the second copy for their record. If you do not submit anything, this will delay the passport application process.

Next, you will need to show parental awareness. If you have your own ID, you can also apply for a passport by yourself. They highly recommend though that at least one parent go with you to show parental awareness. You can also provide a signed statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one of the parents. You will need to provide a photocopy of that parent's ID. If you don't have a current ID, then you are required to show that at least one of your parents knows you are applying for a passport. If they receive written objection from one of your parents or guardians, then your passport application could be denied.

The next step is for you or your parent or guardian must present one of the following ID documents to the agent at the passport location you are applying at:

  • In state fully valid drivers license
  • Fully valid and undamaged US passport, even if expired
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship, as long as the photo still looks like you
  • Government employee ID
  • US military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular

You will also need to bring a photocopy of the front and back of each ID you bring with you when you apply for a passport. The photocopy must be on a white 8.5 x 11" standard paper, it cannot be double sided and they require that you do not decrease the size of the image, but allow you to enlarge it if need be. You are required to provide a photo to go along with your application, to avoid any delays in processing it, make sure your photo meets the passport photo requirements. If you do not have the ability to take a photo or don't have a photo, you can contact your local passport office and ask if they provide onsite passport photo service and ask what the cost would be.

You can calculate the amount needed to pay when you apply for your passport. Below is a list of the cost for adult applicants ages 16 and up. Do note the application fee and execution fee must be paid separately. To see a full list of services and their cost check out the passport fees list.

Product Form Application Fee Execution Fee
Passport Book DS-11 $110 $25
Passport Card DS-11 $30 $25
Passport Book & Card DS-11 $140 $25

Once you have all of the information below, you can now submit your documents in person to start the passport application process. Some locations require you setup an appointment, its recommended to call them ahead of time to verify what is required to start the application process. If using Form DS-11, you will not be able to mail in your passport application and at this time the Department of State does not offer service to submit your application online.

The only time you can mail in your passport application using Form DS-82 is if you already were issued a full valid 10 year passport when you were 16 or older. If you meet this require, check out the passport renewal process.

This page provided information for applying for a new passport for applicants ages 16 and 17. You can also check out how to apply for passports for adults and apply for passports for children ages 16 and under.